- Begin well: nimbly avoid liquid poop when clambering into hen boudoir.
- Wearing gloves, pick up slightly more solid matter in boudoir; place in poop bucket.
- Misjudge while backing out, thereby skinning shin on ledge, tripping on ramp and folding legs in various directions.
- Land in unseemly heap on ground, mercifully still free of poop.
- Collect Pink Pills for Pale Poultry from ground, where they also landed, and inspect for poop.
- Catch Henemoa, pills’ intended recipient, without much kerfluffle.
- Congratulate self on this achievement.
- Dose chicken and, when she spits pills out, redose.
- Suffer splattering of fresh liquid manure on shirt, trousers and gumboot.* Release chicken.
- Exit premises, swearing softly and attempting to prevent soiled fabric from contacting skin.
- In laundry, shed clothes and begin filling bucket with warm water.
- Drop open Napisan container in bucket so it, too, partly fills with water...
|Henemoa, not at all pale, |
and looking as if butter
* Yes, it is possible to hold a chook in such a way that soiling of clothing does not occur. But after my unfortunate exit from the hen boudoir I was not in possession of all my faculties.